Personal information

Starting October 20, 2014, the name that appears in the passport will be the same name that is on the proof of Canadian citizenship. There are some exceptions.

There are no exceptions for child applications. For all children under 16, passports will be issued in the same name that is on the proof of Canadian citizenship.

Also, there will be new requirements for supporting identity documents and for legal name changes. Find out how these requirements affect your adult passport application.

Name in passport

The name that appears in the passport is guided by the following:

  • For a passport issued using the adult general passport application:
    • the name is normally the same as that appearing on the proof of Canadian citizenship (certificate of birth in Canada or certificate of Canadian citizenship).
    • you may request that not all your given names be used in your passport, or that names be inverted, as long as your supporting identity document contains the name you would like to appear. In addition, the names listed on identity documents must be identical to the ones you want in your passport, and in the same order.
  • For a passport issued using the simplified renewal application:
    • the name must be the same as that appearing in the previous passport.

Name changes

All documentation, including your passport, should be issued under the same name. If you have changed your name on other identification documents, your passport should be in this same name.

For any name change, you must apply for a new passport using a General Passport Application:


  • For a married surname change, you must provide your marriage certificate (original or copy) unless your proof of citizenship already shows your married surname.
  • For a common-law surname change, you must submit your common-law relationship certificate (original or copy) unless your proof of citizenship already shows your common-law surname.
  • If you are resuming your surname at birth and your proof of Canadian citizenship indicates your former relationship surname, you must include one (1) of the following documents:
    • marriage certificate;
    • common-law relationship certificate;
    • a court order (i.e. separation agreement or divorce order/judgement) issued by a court of law in or outside Canada; or
    • a certificate to dissolve a registered common-law relationship or a resumption of surname certificate.
  • Copies of certificates are acceptable and do not need to be certified by a guarantor.
  • For any other legal name change, you must first obtain a new proof of Canadian citizenship to reflect your new legal name.

Place of birth

Your place of birth must be provided on the application form.

You may request that your place of birth does not appear in the passport. However, if you chose to do so, note that:

  • Place of birth is mandatory for entry to some countries. You should contact the consulate or embassy of every country you plan to visit to ensure that you will be allowed entry if your passport does not indicate your place of birth.
  • You may have difficulty obtaining a visa.
  • You may experience delays at border crossings.

It is your responsibility to verify requirements before travelling.

If you do not want your place of birth to appear in the passport, you must complete and submit with your application a "Request for a Canadian passport without place of birth" (PPTC 077, PDF, 83 KB).


Your signature must not exceed the inner limits of the signature box on page 1 (Declaration of Applicant) and must appear on all three pages.

Caution to travellers about changing your name on a passport

Be careful if you’re applying for a passport to use after you are married, perhaps for your honeymoon, showing your married name. It is important that the name on your passport match the name in which you have booked all of your travel. If the name on the passport doesn't match the bookings:

  • some countries may not let you in; and
  • some travel companies may not let you board.

This may be the case even if you carry your marriage or civil partnership certificate with you. Always check with the consulate of the country you plan to visit or your travel agent.

Language of documents

All documents submitted as part of a travel document application in a language other than English or French must be translated by a certified translator. More information.